Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Reflections from a Barista...

Today I had someone tell me point blank to "be fake." I said no... and that I wouldn't make up stories either. It got me thinking...

It's interesting to watch how we do things in this world. When "important" people are around, I've noticed a tendency to act like things are being done right... the very best is put forward for them to see (and the non-kosher stuff is hidden away). In anticipation of an arrival from an "important" person, we prepare nervously for their arrival, doing things we normally wouldn't do... putting on a show... all in effort to impress. My question is... why?

I could probably answer that question myself... people-pleasing. sin. performance mentality. the mask. Things I've been guilty of all too often in the past. Things I'm FREE from now (Romans & Galatians).

I wonder how we would respond if we knew Christ was about to return. We talked about this in Sunday School a few weeks ago. If I knew Christ were to return tomorrow, would I be scrambling around trying to do last-minute things to try to impress him? If I were scrambling around, what would I even be doing? Praise God for His GRACE and the fact that I DON'T have to impress him... because I CAN'T.

The truth is... The eyes of the Lord are in every place, beholding the evil and the good. Proverbs 15:3

It's easy for me to think that what I observed today is something I don't struggle with. But just this morning, I was reading the Sermon on the Mount:
Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye. Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces.

I want to walk authentically before you Lord, in character and truth, always ready for your sweet return!

1 comment:

Nora said...

Good stuff, Holly. :)