Now that Sara is back home and I'm still here in Korea, we've started writing letters back and forth again (the old-fashioned way). We first started exchanging letters way back in 1996 - when our friendship was just beginning. In the package she recently sent me, she included a bunch of old letters that I sent to her. As I started reading through the things we used to write back and forth, I could hardly contain my giggles. Fourteen years brings a lot of changes...
What are your favorite T.V. shows? Mine are Full House, Family Matters, and Hanging with Mr. Cooper. I sometimes like to watch cartoons. What are your favorite movies? I have a lot of favorite movies, but I don't know if I could tell you all of them, it would take forever.
Here's the first letter I ever wrote to her, postmarked May 15, 1996:
Dear Sara,
I hope you like our school next year. We had a lot of fun with our teacher this year.
How many brothers and sisters do you have? I have 3 brothers. Zachary is 8 years old and in 2nd grade. Joshie (I forgot we used to call him that!) is 4 years old and Caleb is going to be 3 in August. I don't have any sisters (Emmie wasn't even born yet!).
What church do you go to? We go to NLCF.
Do you play an instrument? I play the piano and Mrs. Sherill (our music teacher) made us learn to play the recorder.
I have a piano recital at school May 16 (tomorrow). I hope I do a good job and don't make any mistakes. Last year I made a mistake. This year I'm playing 2 songs from Little Suite in Baroque Style. There is four songs in it, but I didn't get to the other 2 songs this year.
I have a softball game Saturday at 5:00 p.m. and a game Sunday at 4:00 p.m.
What kind of books do you read? I like to read mysteries, Mandie books, Anne of Green Gables books, and books by Janette Oke, June Masters Bacher, and Lois Walfrid Johnson. I like to read Elizabeth Gail books too.
When do you get out of school? We get out May 30, Friday.
Do you have an American Girl magazine? I have a bunch of magazines you could borrow them if you want. Do you have the calendar and posters? I do, you could look at them if you want to.
What you like to spend your time on? I read, play with a girl in my neighborhood, help my mom clean, watch movies and T.V., play school with my brother, and play office with my friends or brother.
What are your favorite T.V. shows? Mine are Full House, Family Matters, and Hanging with Mr. Cooper. I sometimes like to watch cartoons. What are your favorite movies? I have a lot of favorite movies, but I don't know if I could tell you all of them, it would take forever.
Does your mom work? My mom doesn't work. Well, she works at home. She likes to be there when we get out of school or if we need her to come to school if we forget our things, she can most of the time come if she does not have a really busy day.
Do you buy your lunch at your school? We only can buy our lunch on Fridays at school. We have to turn-in our order form by Wednesday morning.
I hope we can see each other soon!!
Your new friend,
Holly
P.S. What is your middle name? Mine is Nicole. Bye :)
Never in my wildest dreams (especially at 10 years old!) would I have dreamt that 13/14 years later Sara and I would spend 18 months together in South Korea, of all places. God has truly blessed me with a treasure of a friend! Although I sure do miss her now, I cherish the time we were able to spend together in Korea and look forward to spending more time together again soon!
5 comments:
Cleaning out the closet has its benefits, especially when you find treasured letters like that one! It sure was a blast from the past! I'm excited for more memories to come. <3
Oh, that's so adorable! Ah, I can just imagine a little Holly writing that... and wow! I was impressed with how much you wrote! When I was that age, I had no idea what to say (I remember clearly, cuz that's when I moved away from my best friend and I tried to write letters to her...).
Anyway, thanks for sharing! I hope to see some more of these :)
wow, that is amazing! God is cool.
how are things going, holly?! did you know our freshman just came up on their graduation? where did the time go?
hope you're having a great day!
jen
That's wonderful, Holly! You used to read the Maddie books. I loved those. Wasn't her cat named Snowball? :)
This was so fun to read! I feel like I've had the chance to get to know the "young Holly" a little. :) It would have been amazing to know you at that age!
p.s. I like your new blog look. :)
Post a Comment