Sunday, June 8, 2008

Reunions. Wedding. Graduation. Funeral.

That pretty much sums up the past week.

Reunions
This week, I was beyond blessed with reminders of amazing friendships God has placed in my life.

Three of my four roommates from VA Beach (Summer 2007) came to visit me. I was so delighted to have them come and almost felt as if I was living a dream. Although that may sound somewhat melodramatic, it really was refreshing for my heart. We hadn't seen each other for six months... and had so very much to catch up on!!! We definitely had NO trouble finding conversation topics. It was exciting to share what God has done and is doing in our lives... and was also good to reflect on some of our best memories from our summer project with Campus Crusade. I am still in awe of the sovereignty of God... how He placed each one of us (though INCREDIBLY different) together last summer. Our reunion time consisted of pizza night at my house (compliments of my amazing mother), sleepover at Grandma & Grandpa's, a delightful brunch (compliments of my amazing Grandma), a 2 hr. visit to Bethel's Shiloh Prayer Chapel, and a lovely afternoon at the South Bend Chocolate Cafe. Rachael ended up staying an extra night because of the tornadoes in Ohio.

On Thursday evening, I had the privilege of finally catching up with my dear Jana Alexis. It was lovely and I am looking forward to seeing her hopefully in the near future.

The reunion spirit continued throughout the weekend as I spent the night last night with Miss Kate Criswell. After KatieO's "girls party," we grabbed some dinner at Steak 'N Shake before heading back to Kate's for some much-needed sleep. We definitely had lovely times at Steak 'N Shake... confusing our waitress, switching our booths a few times (the air was cold and we were trying to avoid it!), reminiscing about previous memories at S 'N S. It was definitely a time to cherish.

It was also neat to see KatieO (now Wright) and her family... which brings me to my next subtitle...

Wedding
Today I attended the wedding of David & Katie Wright. It was a nice ceremony and I enjoyed seeing Katie's family again. I am truly happy for both Katie and David. It's hard to believe how quickly the years fly by. I remember dreaming with Katie when we were in high school about weddings, marriage, and our future spouses. It is exciting to see her dream come true. It is also exciting to be perfectly content with this lovely season of life that I am enjoying completely unattached.

Graduation
Upon returning from the wedding, I went directly to my cousin Nathan's graduation party. He just graduated from Penn High School. It was a nice party and it was SOOO good to see my extended family members. These family times are truly times to cherish, particularly since they will be very few and far between over the next year(s).

Funeral
Unfortunately, my sister informed me of some very sad news (with tears in her eyes) when I got back into town. Her dear friend and companion, Chester the Hamster is now in Hamster Heaven (no, I do not have any particular theology on animals and heaven... just like the alliteration). It's been a hard day for her, which is understandable. She loved Chester dearly. We've had lots of tears today, particularly when she was cleaning out his cage for the last time. We sat down for some "sister time" over hot chocolate and reflected upon Emma's pleasant memories of Mr. Chester. She seems to be doing fairly well, but it's definitely been a hard day for her. I believe our family will be making funeral arrangements tomorrow at some point [This will be our first family funeral for a pet... I'm not exactly sure what to expect].

Misc.
I hate to end on such a sad note... so perhaps some of my readers will be delighted to hear that I will soon be "going Verizon." I think my plan will change in about 30 days and I will have unlimited texting. I am welcoming the change, after several complications and frustrations with Centennial.

It was nice to have Megs over for a visit this evening. She went to Caleb's baseball game, which turned out to be rather exciting at the end.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

why hello there, Holly! =)
I'm so glad that you've had such a wonderful week (minus the funeral). I miss sharing a room with you. :( Brent is here in Spain with us. He joined us not long after we started the traveling part and he will leave when the rest of the group does. I was also just talking to Bryce today and found out that you guys did summer team together....so, I've been thinking about you more -- and I miss seeing you often like I used to.

Thanks for writing...it's good to hear how you're doing.

Love you, Charity

Jana Alexis said...

My Holly.
Thinking about you today. We should catch up . . . maybe on Sunday? And remind me that I have a verse to share with you.
Jans