Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Swine Flu

This week, I received a notice from the school nurse about the swine flu. She was worried that I might have it... even though I haven't stepped foot in the States (or any other foreign country) for the past nine months.

My co-teacher told me that I should be sure to avoid having any interactions with people that have recently come back from the States. When I informed him that Sara had just returned from the States on Monday and I had spent a good portion of Tuesday afternoon with her, he was quite worried.

Sara's school made her stay home for the whole week because they didn't want to risk an outbreak of the swine flu... even though she had NO symptoms and had gone to the doctor just to make sure that she was okay. I guess it's a SMOE regulation now... no school for seven days after traveling to a foreign country where the swine flu has made an entrance.

Since my co-teacher seemed so worried, I offered to stay home for the rest of the week as well, just to ease his fears. Unfortunately, he didn't seem to think such drastic measures were necessary...yet. lol.

I guess I wouldn't mind if the SMOE regulations are still in effect after my visit HOME in August!!! [I certainly wouldn't mind having a few extra days to adjust back to life in Korea]. Time will tell, I suppose...

No comments: