Teacher's Day
Friday, May 15 was Teacher's Day in Korea. Several of the high school students came back to visit their middle school teachers. Lots of teachers had big bouquets of flowers on their desks accompanied by many visits from students. So many teachers were so happy.
I was really surprised when one of the high school boys that I taught last year came to visit me. He was waiting for me in the Teacher's Office when I got back from lunch. It was SO sweet of him to wait for me... he even brought a carnation for me. I was overcome with his thoughtfulness... and incredibly embarrassed/ashamed because I didn't remember him! (With 800+ students, it's just about impossible to get to know all of my students.) We chatted for a little bit, but I was so confused, I didn't even think to ask him for his email address! It was definitely one of my worst moments as a teacher, I think. I wish I had remembered him... definitely felt like a failure of a teacher. I wish I could know my students on a deeper level...
No comments:
Post a Comment