Thursday, November 19, 2009

A Challenging Week

I think this week has been the most challenging week I've had over the past three months.

Discipline Challenges. One of my co-teachers struck almost every student before they entered my classroom on Monday. (Yes, it's legal for teachers to hit students in Korea - a completely different world than what we're used to in the US). They were late. They're typically a difficult class, so I can't say they were completely innocent, but I wasn't at all comfortable with the discipline that took place. Several of my students entered class crying. I wanted to cry too. I'm thankful that he's being more supportive in the classroom, but I did mention that perhaps we could work on finding some non-violent discipline methods in the future.

Had the opportunity to share the Gospel with a teacher I've been praying for over the past year. During English Bible Study, we looked at John 6, the Bread of Life discourse. She understood everything pretty clearly, but rejected Jesus... Words can't completely express how I've been working through this. I'm thankful God's been reminding me that this story isn't over yet.

Thanksgiving is right around the corner. I think being away from home during Thanksgiving last year was actually harder than Christmas... already I've been feeling more homesick. I've been doing pretty well for the past three months... I guess it's bound to happen from time to time. I love teaching my students about Thanksgiving, but I wouldn't be surprised if the repeated lessons contribute to the homesickness.

My co-teachers have been extra busy and there's just been a heavy atmosphere at my school lately. I know so many of the teachers are burdened with a lot of extra work. I've been trying to remind myself that their busyness (therefore our lack of communication) doesn't mean that they don't care. Quality time and conversations are so important to me.

Also, I think the cold weather just makes me more easily irritable and sad. It's so much harder to be motivated to exercise too. Instead, I find myself just wanting to stay wrapped up nice and warm in my apartment with hot chocolate.

Although it's certainly been an emotional week with some tear-filled moments, I would be remiss if I neglected to praise God for the following blessings:
  • My 1-7 Class (usually the worst 1st grade class) behaved phenomenally this week. My co-teacher and I were in awe. I'm so thankful that God answered my prayer of desperation on Tuesday. I knew I just didn't have the strength to face this class on my own. It was nothing short of a miracle.
  • Random conversations with co-teachers during lunch. I SO value our time together!
  • God has been demonstrating His provision for our Small Group - providing some much-needed wisdom and just some really great times of sharing.
  • Friends with listening ears
  • Time to clean my apartment
  • Wisdom with my Thanksgiving Lesson. I had really wanted some input from my co-teachers, but they weren't available. God reminded me that I could talk things over with Him and He gave me some great ideas that seem to be working well.
  • Promises and encouragement from Luke 1.
I've also been really encouraged by the songs, Good to Me & Your Faithfulness this week. How good He is! I'm so thankful that the Jesus I know and love is ALIVE and GOOD and so merciful... He is truly all I need.

3 comments:

Jana Alexis said...

Do you need me to come and make some cold noises for you so the chilly weather is more bearable? I will if you need me to. :)
Prayed for you this morning and an e-mail should be coming your way at some point today. Love you!

Holly said...

Yes, I DO need you to come!!! I've been thinking about you so much with all of the cold noises. I think that makes me miss you even more! Oh, how I would LOOOOOOVE for you to come...

Thanks for your prayers. God's putting some things in perspective for me. I really have so much more to be thankful for...

Taryn said...

I hate it when they hit kids. They do it in front of me in the teachers' office all the time, and I can't do or say anything about it because I'm just a lowly foreign teacher.

My kids are in high school so it doesn't really hurt them that much, but it's incredibly humiliating. They have to bend over and then the teacher gives them a few good whacks with a stick.

I wish there was something we could do but I feel so powerless. I feel that way a lot of the time teaching here.