Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Mask-uh!

This morning, my vice principal (in her somewhat broken English) told me that I must wear a mask at school now (due to the H1N1 flu frenzy). I'm not sure if she meant to come across as harsh as she did. It seems like such a small thing - to wear a mask. For me, it's quite challenging for a number of reasons.

I wish I could say that I immediately responded with joyful obedience. But... I asked a few questions, attempting to persuade her that I don't need to wear a mask. I even told her that we don't wear masks in my country! NOT a good idea!!! [I am so ashamed that I used that line...]. I don't think she was angry... I think there was just a lot of misunderstanding.

After our uncomfortable conversation, I escaped to my classroom for a little bit of time to think and pray. I couldn't believe how much her words affected me emotionally! It seems so silly to get upset over a little mask... but I think it was about so much more than that - a lot of it having to do with my pride, I think. Anyway, I decided to comply with her demand/request. She IS the authority that God has placed over me at this school (Interesting sidenote: Pastor Eddie mentioned submitting to authority in his sermon just this past week). When I returned to the teacher's office, there were two disposable masks waiting on my desk for me.

Later on in the day, I talked things over with my vp. I apologized to her for not saying "Yes, okay" right away. She explained that she was just worried about my health and wants to make sure I don't get the flu. (She really does genuinely care for me a lot). I then asked her if it was okay for me to not wear the mask in the teacher's office when I'm sitting at my desk. She said I can have "free choice-uh!" I was shocked/relieved by her words.

I realized that when she originally told me that I "must wear a mask," I misunderstood her. As my co-teacher explained it, in Korea, they don't often say things like, You might want to consider... Have you thought about... It might be a good idea to... Instead, they say, You should... You must... You better... I knew these things before, but I forgot about that until this most recent encounter.

Ohhhhh, the challenges of cross-cultural communication!!!

No comments: