Friday, November 13, 2009

Reading, Reading, Reading!

I've been blessed with a decent amount of time to read recently. As of late, I've read:
  1. Daring to Live on the Edge: The Adventure of Faith & Finances by Loren Cunningham - an excellent read. Definitely broadened my perspective of faith, generosity, finances, missions, and God's undeniable faithfulness.
  2. The Shack by William P. Young - I wasn't a big fan. There was a lot of theological stuff I didn't agree with. However, I appreciated his attempt to make God seem more personal... also attempted to flesh out the three persons of the Trinity more and displayed their interdependence a bit. I definitely wouldn't recommend this book to a new Christian... and not to a teenager, either - not unless they are pretty solid theologically.
  3. Get Married by Candice Watters - Definitely an interesting read. One of my friends passed it on to me. Lots of good things to think about. Although I didn't agree with everything, I was encouraged/convicted to pray more boldly!
  4. From Wheaton to the Nations by David M. Howard - The story of cross-cultural missionary outreach from Wheaton College. Definitely fueled my excitement and eagerness to prepare (Lord-willing) for Wheaton eventually... to prepare for missions!
  5. Teaching Cross-Culturally by Judith E. Lingenfelter & Sherwood G. Lingenfelter - A more scholarly read on how to teach and learn incarnationally in a different culture from your own (kind of obvious from the title). Certainly a beneficial read for my current employment status!
  6. The Little Woman by Gladys Aylward with Christine Hunter - I may have mentioned this in a previous post. Basically an autobiography of Gladys Aylward, missionary to China. Certainly challenging and faith-building!
I feel like I may be forgetting a title or two... but I am certainly thankful for the extra time I've had to READ this semester! I have several books just waiting on my shelf for me to savor. I'm having trouble deciding which one to read next. We'll see... I generally find myself reading a few different ones at the same time anyway.

2 comments:

Jana Alexis said...

Yay! Updates!
Sounds like you've been doing some great reading ... makes me want to do more of that myself. Thanks for the encouragement.
Jans

Anonymous said...

Holly! WONDERFUL hearing from you and I absolutely love this topic - reading! :) I'm glad you're finding time to read for enjoyment. Love you!
Charity