About White Day...
On Friday morning, all of the male teachers at our school gave chocolates to the female teachers in celebration of WHITE Day - March 14 (Saturday this year). White Day is another one of those couples' holidays that Korea seems to have in abundance. On White Day, men are expected to do something special for their wives/girlfriends. (It is the opposite on Valentine's Day). Couples also celebrate Peppero Day (11/11 - peppero are candied sticks) & Christmas as couples' holidays... The single people like to celebrate Black day on April 14. Apparently, all the single people are supposed to get together and eat jajangmyun (Chinese noodles with black sauce) and hopefully hook up. Definitely makes me chuckle... Oh Korea!
Lovely Surprises...
I am pleased to report that my first White Day was quite pleasant, with some lovely surprises. My dear friend Bok ja surprised me with a red rose (made out of soap) and some chocolate hearts. She explained to me that, as she was praying for me, she was thinking, If I was in a foreign country all by myself without a boyfriend, I think maybe I would feel sad... so I should do something special for Holly and remind her of the incredible love God has for her. She's so sweet! She had no idea that I'd never celebrated White Day before, so I had NO expectations for the day at all. But she decided to just bless me with sweet reminders of the love of the Lord.
Love, Love, Love!!!
In addition to the lovely rose and chocolate, she shared three verses with me to remind me of the incredible love of the Lord:
What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written:
"For your sake we face death all day long;
we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered." No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:31-39
Never! Can a mother forget her nursing child?
Can she feel no love for the child she has borne?
But even if that were possible,
I would not forget you!
See, I have written your name on the palms of my hands. Isaiah 49:15-16a
The LORD your God is with you,
he is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you,
he will quiet you with his love,
he will rejoice over you with singing. Zephaniah 3:17
God totally surprised me and blessed me through Bok ja. Her perspective on White Day is the same perspective my college friends and I shared concerning Valentine's Day for many years. It's just a good day to be reminded of the Lord's love - love that NEVER fails...
It's interesting that Bok ja felt that she needed to remind me of God's love. During my time in Korea, I've had so many people say to me at different times, "Wow, Holly! God must really love you a lot... look at how He's blessed you with ______." I never quite know how to respond to that. I always want to say... He REALLY loves you too!!!!! At times I am totally overwhelmed with the love of the Lord, especially when He demonstrates that love tangibly (through teachers at school, friends, family members from home, etc.). Other times, as silly as it sounds, I find myself questioning the Lord's love! I know it's ridiculous but it does happen from time to time. Who am I to question the love of the Lord?!
Just in case I didn't get the memo...
The Bible study in our church devotional for this weekend was titled, "You are Mine and I Love You." It's all about Isaiah 43 and the fact that our ultimate security lies in knowing who we are in Christ and how much He loves us. I know this post is already getting long, but there are a few more verses I simply MUST share:
But now, this is what the LORD says—
he who created you, O Jacob,
he who formed you, O Israel:
"Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.
For I am the LORD, your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;
I give Egypt for your ransom,
Cush and Seba in your stead.
Since you are precious and honored in my sight,
and because I love you,
I will give men in exchange for you,
and people in exchange for your life.
Do not be afraid, for I am with you;
I will bring your children from the east
and gather you from the west.
I will say to the north, 'Give them up!'
and to the south, 'Do not hold them back.'
Bring my sons from afar
and my daughters from the ends of the earth-
everyone who is called by my name,
whom I created for my glory,
whom I formed and made."
"You are my witnesses," declares the LORD,
"and my servant whom I have chosen,
so that you may know and believe me
and understand that I am he.
Before me no god was formed,
nor will there be one after me.
I, even I, am the LORD,
and apart from me there is no savior.
I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—
I, and not some foreign god among you.
You are my witnesses," declares the LORD, "that I am God.
Yes, and from ancient days I am he.
No one can deliver out of my hand.
When I act, who can reverse it?"
~Isaiah 43:1-13
How thankful I am for the love of the Lord! His love endures forever... never fails... never disappoints... never ends. It is truly incomparable! I'm thankful for His very CLEAR reminders this weekend... so refreshing for my heart!
My White Day concluded with an evening out with great friends - eating delicious Mexican food, going to a Board Game Cafe, and singing karaoke at a Noraebang. The last song we sang was, All you need is love, love, love. All you need is love, love, love. Love is all you need.
I've got all that I need!
1 comment:
This was perfect timing for me :) Hope you're wonderful and thank you for the encouraging words from hours away :)
Post a Comment