Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Clumsy...

One of my New Year's Resolutions for this year was to not be so clumsy. So far, I haven't been doing so well... There were so many clumsy moments tonight, I couldn't help but laugh at myself!

A few months ago, one of the girls from choir (Jamie) left to go to Australia and she very graciously left her rollerblades for me to inherit (you can already see where this story is headed...). I am somewhat ashamed to say that tonight was my first time actually using them. I've been longing to go for quite some time... but it just never seemed to work out. However, I made it a priority tonight and thoroughly enjoyed my time, despite a bit of a wipeout! I contemplated taking the wrist pads and knee pads that Jamie left for me... but silly me decided I didn't need them (why, I'm NOT sure!).

In keeping with tradition of the past several years, I obtained a few decent-sized scrapes again. I say it's tradition because it seems to happen just about every year. Most memorable was my junior year of college when Jana and I were rollerblading at Bethel. I was going down the big hill by the library and wiped out at the bottom - gaining battle wounds on my chin (somewhat resembled a goatee), hands (still have scars to prove it), and knees. Tonight my hands received the worst of the fall. I took pictures, but I'll spare you unless you REALLY want to see them...

It happened at Yongsan Family Park (located near the US military base, my church, and the National Museum of Korea). I decided I kind of wish I lived near the park because it would be a fun place to actually start running again - a really nice area. Anyway, when I fell, a nice old man saw me and rushed to check to see if I was okay. He was so kind and considerate of me. I told him kwenchuniayo (it's okay) and komsahamnida (thank you). I couldn't help but laugh at myself... especially since the rest of the night consisted of extreme caution on the rollerblades and tripping on subway stairs.

On my way to Emart (our version of Walmart) afterward, a kind man on the subway offered some kind of cream for my open wounds. Although I had no clue what it was, I trusted him... people in Korea are just so thoughtful and willing to help.

Yes, tonight was a lovely evening. I think the clumsiness made me laugh and enjoy my time all the more, which may seem silly. I could just hear my dad teasing me about it (something he loves to do).

Although I didn't have a rollerblading partner, I found myself just soaking up the beautiful spring scenery and thoroughly enjoying a free evening. After my rollerblading adventure, I redeemed my punch card at Caffe Pascucci's for a FREE coffee and had a sweet time with the Lord before doing some much-needed grocery shopping.

And now it's way past time for me to call it a night...

1 comment:

Nora said...

I remember when you took your spill down the hill by the library. Heal fast from this wipeout. At least you have a story to tell! It's getting warm enough here, almost 70 today, to enjoy being outside finally!