Saturday, March 8, 2008

Life as a Meiguoren Liuxeusheng

Translation: Life as an American foreign student

The last few days have been pretty heavy with homework. All of the traveling is definitely catching up with us. This past week I had three World Civ exams, two Chinese tests, a biography and plenty of reading. The World Civ exams went pretty well. Dr. Schmidt was visiting us from Bethel and it was kind of fun to have him around. He was very good to us... kind of spoiled us with sweet treats and good conversation.

On Monday, we have another Chinese test as well as a book report and research paper to turn in. So guess what I've been up to...

It's definitely been a challenging week...
- overwhelming amounts of homework
- adjusting to living with 13 girls with different ideas of study environments and cleanliness
- having multiple 2 hr. classes (my attention span just isn't that long...)
- feeling kind of homesick
- wishing I could be "there" for my friends
- feeling behind - with classes, emails, updates, etc.

But also a very good week...
- discovering a coffee stand within walking distance... and having a roommate outing... and paying 5 kuai (less than $1 for it)
- good conversations with my roommates... I really like my roommates!
- eating fresh strawberries
- being settled in our spacious apartment
- catching up with dear friends
- finding out my computer is repaired and waiting for me at home
- chatting with my sister online
- escaping to Dairy Queen with Katie, Josh, and Brent
- learning to order food off the street
- starting to run (and buying fresh pineapple off of the street as a reward at the end)

My goal is to be able to run for 30 minutes without stopping by the time I leave China. I'm starting off very slow - alternating five minutes of running with two minutes of walking. So far, I've been actually kind of enjoying it. Josie and I have been running together... it's been good. This morning after running, I felt SO good. Since running is the one exercise I can take with me basically anywhere in the world, I figured it would probably be a good idea to try to start incorporating it into my life.

Tomorrow marks the beginning of a new week. I really am enjoying this time in China. I feel like this is such a season of life to cherish. Even though I miss everyone at home, I know that this is the best place for me right now... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Time for me to return to studying the life of Mao Zedong and the founding of the People's Republic of China...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holly! Your week sounds like it's been crazy!

I was so happy to read that you are running! Maybe we can run together when you're back! =) It really is a good exercise for wherever you find yourself...minus the weather extremes. :P My dad runs when he's in Europe, and I think it's really neat to be able to say that you've run in many different countries. It's a also a really good time to spend with someone...if you have someone to go with you. :)

Love you, Holly!
-Charity

Jana Alexis said...

Hang in there, my dear Holly Nicole. Guess what? I feel like you're doing a pretty good job of "being there" even though you're so far away. I PtL for this time that you're having.
Love ya!
Jana Alexis

Nora said...

Holly, you are "there" where you need to be right now. Words are sometimes as powerful as a person's presence. You do very well conveying yourself with words :) I love reading about everything going on as you travel and _enjoy_ this season of life.

Love you!
Nora