March 4, 2008 - Tuesday
Today was a somewhat challenging day. Definitely a transition day. Those of us that have been living in the Guest House had to wheel all of our belongings over to the apartmetns. It was quite a task - and took nearly a half hour. I was amazed by how kind the Chinese people were to us - several offered to help. One Chinese man ended up helping Katie and I wheel our extra suitcases all the way to the apartment. He was very kind and refused any money when I offered to pay him. When we arrived to the apartment, I made a comment about the kindness of the Chinese and I was quickly asked if the guy that helped us was close to my age... I hadn't even though about it until then... but realized it was true. I still think the Chinese are really nice people, though.
After class (in the apartment), we spent the majority of the day doing homework (in the apartment). Twenty+ people (with all of our luggage) crammed in a small apartment designed for seven or less people made for an interesting atmosphere for homework. Thankfully, things went well. I was amazed by how well everyone seemed to get along - especially since we have an overwhelming amount of homework deadlines quickly approaching.
During a study break, Katie and I ventured out, hoping to find some coffee. We successfully found a coffee stand just minutes away from our apartment building. We were so excited! The best part was that the coffee was less than a dollar (five qui) and tasted so good! It was fun to attempt to order with our very limited, broken Chinese. I'm hoping that we'll become friends with the girl that worked there. She seemed so nice.
After dinner, I had my World Civ oral exam, which went fine. I enjoyed talking with Dr. Schmidt. I'm going to try to do a better job at staying informed with what is going on in the world... starting with reading the New York Times headlines that I get every day in my Bethel mail.
We also moved into our apartment tonight. At first, I was kind of nervous about the thirteen of us girls living in one apartment... but I think it's really going to be great. The apartment is SO spacious. I actually feel like I have more room here than I had at the Guest House that we were staying at. It is really nice to be settled again and I think I'm really going to enjoy living with my roommates - Emily, Monica, Katie, Josie, and Sara. Good times to be had!
2 comments:
Great updates. So glad to hear that it's going well in China. PTL!
It's so good to see updates from you. I had a dream last night with you in it. You said something about China and you had to be there, but you'd update your blog. I kinda figured you'd have something up here today :P
Love you!
Post a Comment