Katie and I just finished watching Life is Beautiful. It's such a good movie... very sad, but very sweet. I was reminded of when we watched it together in Shupe my freshmen year. Good times. It's amazing how much perspective affects the way we view different situations... and how strong love can be. Wow.
Loving my Roommates...
Anyway, aside from the movie, I do think life is beautiful (I know I can be rather sappy sometimes...). My roommates just give me the "Oh, Holly" look. We've been having a wonderful time together. I think we're supposed to be having a roommate date to DQ in the next couple of days. It's been really fun getting to know these amazing girls. We have lots of laughs. Unfortunately, our apartment is getting rather disgusting. We need cleaning supplies and some decorations. Bare white walls... dusty floors... no shower curtain in the bathroom... and a dirty kitchen makes for not so good of a combination. I think tomorrow we're going to do some cleaning. After we get things cleaned up and settled, I'll post some pictures (after I catch up on the other ones that I promised). :)
Homework...
This week has been pretty full with homework. We've definitely had more work on this trip than I originally expected. (Please note that I am not complaining... just making an observation. We've definitely been spoiled with travel and vacation time). Chinese has been pretty challenging lately, but hopefully I'll start to catch it. The four different tones are kind of difficult for me to master. Practice, practice, practice. Tomorrow is a free day... Katie and I are going to try to use it to catch up on some homework so that we can enjoy the weekend.
At the Daxue (university)...
Today and yesterday afternoon, we walked to one of the universities to visit an English class. The students were so excited to meet us. They are so eager to learn about our lives in America and are very friendly. We invited them to a party at our place on Friday night. I think we're going to play some games, have some food, and just talk. Hopefully I'll get a chance to practice my very limited Chinese vocabulary.
Subway Adventure...
I almost forgot to mention our adventure on the Subway Sunday afternoon! After church, we decided to go to a Tex Mex place on the other side of town. In order to get there, we had to take the subway. Unfortunately, as our group was boarding the subway, the doors started to close just before Katie and I got on. We didn't know quite what to do as we ran down the line and saw all the doors closing. Brent tried to signal the number "2" with his fingers through the window. We weren't quite sure what he meant... but decided to make the best of it as we watched the subway race past. A Chinese man approached us (in English!) and asked us if we needed help. We told him what happened and he suggested that maybe we were supposed to switch to the "line 2" subway. We weren't about to switch subway lines, so decided to just get on the next subway and hope that our group was at the next one or two stops.
As we waited for the subway to come, I can assure you we were on the yellow line, waiting to be the first ones on when the doors opened. We got off at the first stop and didn't see our group, so quickly jumped back on. At the second stop, we scanned the station and couldn't find our group at first... but then Katie spotted them waiting for us on the side. It was quite an exciting (yet short-lived) adventure. I am pleased to inform you that our visit to the restaurant was well worth the trip. We had some delicious Western food and the servers spoke English! It made me kind of homesick... but in a good way. It was a nice treat. Needless to say, after our little adventure, we decided that we're going to need to figure out the subway and bus system pretty soon. It just might be a good idea... I hope you enjoyed this way-too-detailed story.
I should probably be getting to bed... but will plan to post more tomorrow... and hopefully pictures will be up soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment