Thursday, July 30, 2009

Sleepover at Kang Meesuk's


At the Blue Coast Buffet with Kang Meesuk and Hyo-Rim.

After helping me move all of my stuff on Monday, Kang Meesuk invited me to spend the night with her and her family. It was an absolutely wonderful time! I went with her to pick up her son from his academy (hogwan) and dropped him off for French lessons. In between his classes, we enjoyed wonderful conversation and delicious coffee at Tom & Tom's. Her son is in his first year of high school at one of the Foreign Language High Schools (definitely an elite school).

When we arrived at her house in Bundang, we were greeted by her dear daughter, Hyo-Rim. Hyo-Rim is in middle school and ever so sweet. We had absolutely no trouble finding things to chat about. She has such a beautiful heart. [And I'm so thankful that both of Kang Meesuk's children can speak English almost fluently!]

For dinner, we went to a fancy buffet called "Blue Coast." Definitely amazing food... there was even a chocolate fountain for dessert! I was feeling spoiled again. For breakfast the next morning, she proceeded to make french toast for me! I don't think I've had french toast for a whole year... oh how she spoiled me!

Perhaps my highlight of our time together was having a long chat with Kang Meesuk and ending the night in prayer with her and both of her children. It was such a precious time.

During our evening together, I shared with Kang Meesuk (once again) how much God has blessed me through her this year. I have just been absolutely overwhelmed over and over again with her thoughtfulness, generosity, and friendship. She is not even an English teacher at Cheongryang, so she has no duty, no obligation to even speak to me! Truly amazing....

Anyway, she shared a very dear story with me. When she lived abroad with her family, one woman demonstrated incredible generosity to her. Years later, when Kang Meesuk tried to repay her, the woman refused to accept anything. Instead, she told Kang Meesuk to simply return the gift to someone else. So, that's what she's been doing for years... with several people... and continuing to do with me. Returning love that she received. She asked me to do the same in the future. She also reminded me that everything she has shared with me has simply been from the Lord.

I feel like there are so many people here in Korea that have just lavished their love upon me... what a great responsibility I have to pass it on. I am eager for the opportunity. I don't think I'll ever be able to look at foreigners in the US in the same way ever again. My perspective has been forever altered.

No comments: