This morning we took a walk through Chester Hill, thinking about the people there and their different needs. We noticed lots of elderly people. When we got to the park, we met a Fijian woman in charge of several men that were part of a group home. It was interesting to talk with her for and the boys for awhile. After they left, we spent some time in thinking about them and singing together. It’s cool to see what our Father is doing with our group.
After lunch, we went to a nursing home and sang some songs… ranging from Oh Danny Boy to Amazing Grace to Blessed be Your Name to Dancing Matilda. I was asked to sing a solo on the spot. It was an interesting experience for sure… didn’t go as well as I would have liked, but I think the people appreciated it.
After some singing, we had tea with the residents and just sat and talked with them. I spent the most time talking with a resident named Harry. It was hard to understand him – he didn’t have any teeth and his accent didn’t help. His daughters don’t talk to him anymore and he’s lost contact with almost everyone. It was interesting to spend time there after reading Tuesdays with Morrie. I really enjoyed our time there, but was tired out by the end. It takes a lot of energy to sit and try to listen/understand for so long.
Following dinner, we went into downtown Sydney and spent about 4 hours there. We did a lot of walking, starting off near Darling Harbor (I love that name!) and ending up at Sydney Opera House. I never realized how ritzy of a city Syndey is. It is really pretty and fun. As we were walking through the streets, I couldn’t help but think of Jana… knowing that she walked the same streets in the fall of 06.
We didn’t get back to the college until 12:30 a.m. at least. It was quite an interesting van ride back...
No comments:
Post a Comment