Sunday, February 10, 2008

Randomness...

Technology Update
I have good news! I now have a laptop to use for the rest of the semester! When Tim Matteson (Bethel filming guy) came to visit, he brought me an extra laptop and took my laptop home to get fixed. Definitely a blessing... especially since a lot of my assignments will be due on Tuesday.

As far as the digital camera goes... it is pretty much fried, I think. Katie has been sharing her pics with me (I will be posting some from our past week of traveling soon, I promise!). When I go to China, I might check out the prices of digital cameras... we'll see.

Church
Today we had the opportunity to visit the Redeemed Christian Church of God, composed mostly of Nigerians, I think. It was a good, cultural experience. Several of us from our group enjoyed the worship. It is definitely different from what we're used to, but it was kind of fun. The sermon was REALLY long and I couldn't really understand it because the pastor had a very thick accent, but he basically talked about Luke 14:25-35 and the cost of being a disciple.

After church, they served lunch to us. It was very kind, particularly since their church is having a 30 day fast right now. I felt kind of bad eating food in front of them since they were fasting, but that was their gift to us. It was kind.

Chinese Class
I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but we started some Chinese classes here in New Zealand a couple of weeks ago. Our teacher, Frank is from Nigeria (he invited us to church with him) and is incredibly intelligent. At the beginning of our Chinese lessons, I was very excited and ready to take on the challenge. I am still excited, but it is really hard work and can be discouraging. Mandarin Chinese has four tones... so you can say the same syllable (ma, for example) and depending on how you say it, you can be referring to your mom, but accidentally call her a horse (not a good thing...). So, it is very challenging, but good. We have learned very basics phonetics so far (no characters yet). I know how to carry on brief conversations of greeting, introduction, ordering food, and going places. I probably shouldn't call them conversations... more like phrases. And I definitely don't have them mastered yet, but if I have my paper in hand, I can do okay. Definitely an adventure...

Itinerary
So, we have two more study days at the Bible college... and then we have to say goodbye for good. I'm really going to miss the Bible College. Katie, Rachel and I went on a walk after supper this evening and were talking about how nice it has been to have space and be settled. After we leave the Bible College, we will be traveling for 2 1/2 weeks before we get settled down in China.

I'll probably post more details later, but for now, the plan is to leave on Wednesday morning for the southern part of the north island. We'll visit Taupo, Rotorua (opportunity to go hiking, luging, and zorbing), and Waihi Beach. Our last day in New Zealand we'll visit the Sky Tower and prepare for our flight to Sydney EARLY Wednesday morning (the 20th).

We'll be in Australia for 9 days... then off to Beijing!

We don't know what our living arrangements in Beijing will be like quite yet... either an apartment or guest house. If we live in an apartment, it will be all 13 of us girls in one apartment. Definitely another adventure... there are pros and cons to the apartment and guest house. Either one will require flexibility and adaptability... which is good, because I definitely have plenty of room to grow in those areas!

Cravings
We have begun to crave American food lately... mybiggest cravings: s'mores, pancakes (with chocolate chips!), and macaroni and cheese. I don't even know why I miss those so much because I never really had them on a regular basis. I guess I'm probably craving my mom's homemade pizza and spaghetti too... Some of us girls have joked around that it sounds like we're at "fat camp" because sometimes all we can talk about is the food we're craving. It's kind of pathetic... and humorous. The good news is, Katie Cline emailed her grandma to get her homemade mac 'n cheese recipe... and Brent made it for dinner tonight! It was better than Kraft mac 'n cheese by far!

Homework
Still have plenty of it, but I finished my first 20 chapters of World Civ today! I still have some maps that I should probably work on before China, but I have finished what is necessary to complete before our exams the first week in Beijing.

As for my ministry class, I still have 8 more journals, 4 internet articles, and reading through the Gospel of John. I think I should be able to get all of those things finished by Tuesday. It's been a great class, I've really enjoyed it. I think I might miss it when it's over...

I also would like to begin doing research for my Area Study research paper. I am going to be studying Mao Zedong's life as it pertains to the founding of the People's Republic of China in 1949. Brent said he thinks it's an excellent topic and that I'll learn a lot about Chinese culture, which is a good thing. (I was considering dropping my Area Study class from 3 credits to 1 so that I wouldn't have to do the research paper... but I decided that even though I don't need the extra credits, it's probably a better decision to go through with it. Brent mostly talked me into it... and I think I'm glad he did.) So... you all can look forward to learning more about that, because I'll probably blog some about what I'm learning, but that won't be for a few more weeks. :)

Okay... I need to try to do a little more homework before I turn in for the night...

2 comments:

Nora said...

I'm glad you have a new laptop to use! I hope to hear some of your Chinese skills on skype later today ;) It sounds like you've got some amazing adventures up ahead! I'll be praying for your living arrangements that are coming up.

Love you,
Nora

just me said...

Holly dearest, it is wonderful to hear from/about you. I am excited that you are having such a wonderful time and will continue to pray for the times ahead. Much love. -me