Friday, August 29, 2008

Apartment Update

Thank you for praying about our living situation. It appears that we are going to be staying where we are at. We've explored pretty much avenue possible and it sounds like nothing is going to change. Even though it is much different than Sara and I both were originally expecting, I think God might have a purpose for it all. We just don't know exactly what it is yet. Tonight we met kind of halfway for dinner and it worked out all right. I guess one of the positive sides of this is that we have more of an excuse to do exploring together. It's also a blessing to have cell phones!

So... since I am going to be staying at the Co-op, I've decided to post pictures of my apartment. My dad wanted me to post pictures of the unpacking process... but it was such a mess! So, I'm not planning to post them. But here's what my apartment looks like when it is exactly the way I want it to be:


This is a side-view of my little kitchen. I have one stove burner, a microwave, a dorm-room size refrigerator (inside one of the bottom cupboards), and a sink. On the right side, you might notice a shelving unit sticking out. That's for my shoes. Koreans (or maybe it's just an Asian thing in general) take their shoes off when entering any living space. There is actually a short step separating the entry way from the rest of my room. Interesting, huh?


My desk with my laptop and TV (which will probably just serve as a dust collector) and pictures. Next to my desk is my wardrobe and dresser drawers. The silver drawer is a little different because it has a mirror on top when you pull the drawer up. It folds out and has little compartments to put make-up or whatever in it. It's actually kind of inconvenient, so I just decided to use it for storage. The white column next to the wardrobe is my pantry. It pulls out and has wire shelves in it. The Koreans are definitely space-efficient.


The inside of my wardrobe. It is colorful, so I decided to take a picture. I need to get more hangers for the rest of my clothes. The vice principal brought some hangers from her home for me to use yesterday, which was pretty sweet.


My bed, window, and air conditioner (top left corner). The air conditioner actually comes with a remote control, which makes me feel very technological and high-tech. I like my blanket and purple pillow... compliments of my mom. :)


An outside view of my little bathroom. I have Kate's infamous white bow hanging on the door handle - we tossed it back and forth the whole semester that we roomed together my junior year and she sent it with me here.


Notice that the shower head just sticks out of the wall and the water splashes all over the floor. It is different, but works out pretty well. The left corner has a small sink and narrow mirrors on both sides of the wall. I don't know if you can tell or not...

So, that's my apartment! Downstairs, I have access to a laundry room, fitness center, and a restaurant (although the restaurant is somewhat pricey, so I probably won't frequent it). The apartment is located downtown, in the midst of quite a bit of hub-bub, which has it's pros and cons. I decided not to take a picture of my view from the window because 1) it was already dark when I was taking pictures and 2) it's not that great of a view at all... so don't worry, you're not missing out!

I will be sending out an email with my address for those of you that have been asking for it. I decided it would be better to send it via email.

Update on my School:
I love Cheongyrang Middle School! All the teachers are so friendly and welcoming toward me. I had a wonderful conversation with one of the English teachers today, but I'll have to tell you more about it tomorrow. I really need to get to bed!

Oh, and I successfully managed to get to school today on the bus without getting lost! And I'm getting more and more confident about navigating the subway system. It's fun to feel like I know where I'm going - at least somewhat! :)

3 comments:

Jana Alexis said...

So fun to see pictures of your home! I like to see all of your little touches.

Nora said...

It looks small but nice. I'm glad you were able to get some pics up! :) I tried to find your school on Google Maps, but couldn't...

Anonymous said...

I love that you are using the bow for decoration. :) Miss you, friend! Love, Kate