Saturday, August 30, 2008

Medical Forms, Good Korean Food, & Gratitude

Yesterday I want to the hospital for a medical examination - part of the requirements of the Korean government for my Alien Registration Card. It was my first medical experience in a foreign country. Things went okay for the most part. I only had a difficult time concealing my laughter as I filled out the medical form. The two questions that made me smile:
1) Do you hear a voice/person talking to you?
I checked the "No" box, but wrote in the margin, "The only voice I hear talking to me is God's." I had to be honest... but definitely smiled as I thought about what their reaction might be.
2) What does it mean to measure twice, but cut only once?
I think I've heard this cliche in the US, but not all that often. I don't know why, but it really seemed funny to me that they would have that kind of question on a med. form. There was another question like that, but I don't remember what it was. Hopefully I answered correctly... otherwise they may think I need psychiatric help. Oh dear... lol.

Last night, Sara and I met up with Hil for dinner in her area of town. It was probably the best Korean meal I have had thus far. They cooked our pork in the middle of our table in front of us. I forgot what it was called... but you wrap up the meat in lettuce and add some other random side dishes, pieces of garlic, and stuff it all in your mouth at once (if possible). I also tried some seaweed soup. It actually wasn't half bad. I enjoyed it better than the acorn jelly. It was nice to share a meal with Sara & Hil. It really is nice to communicate with Westerners and reflect on all the crazy little things that we observe/get frustrated with/ laugh about. I'm thankful for both of these girls... and looking forward to some slumber parties at Hil's. :)


With Hil...


with Sara...

I've been so encouraged by the Lord's presence and provision... with Hil, Sara, all of your prayers & emails/blog comments, indescribable peace, co-teachers, etc. Last night I got a phone call from Bok ja, a friend of some of our dear family friends in AZ. She and her husband were missionaries in the US and just got back to Korea a week or two ago. She invited Sara and I to come have lunch with her today. I'm so excited!!! I can't wait to see her... Rest assured, I will dedicate an entire blog post to our time with her and her family. :)

Much love to you all!
~Holly

No comments: