Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Pray for our Living Situation...

Wow, so much has happened in the last several hours/days! So much to blog about... it's overwhelming! The biggest piece of news is in regards to my apartment situation. My apartment is tiny, but works for my purposes. My co-teachers, vice principal, and principal have all been amazing in helping me with everything I need and more. Today my principal brought mugs, silverware, and pots and pans for me to use. They are all concerned about me because I don't like spicy food very much, so I eat rather small lunch meals and they know that I don't have anything to cook with. I feel like I have several mothers taking care of me. It is kind of funny... and incredibly sweet.

Also, my co-teacher, Young-Chae has been bending over backwards for my friend Sara and I. We were unable to contact each other for several hours upon our arrival in Seoul because we were immediately taken to our respective schools and apartments. At the time, we had no idea how far away our apartments and schools were from each other. Thanks to the wonderful Internet, we have been able to communicate and actually arranged to get together this evening, which was good. The news is unfortunate, however. We live nearly an hour away from each other by subway! We are very disappointed and have had multiple conversations with our co-teachers about moving us closer together. The situation was nearly taken care of today at one point... and then completely dissolved due to several external factors. It is too long and confusing to explain. Basically, our co-teachers have investigated every possible avenue that they can think of to arrange for us to be closer together. Today I was told that our situation is impossible and hopeless.

After several long conversations, Sara and I have decided to continue to dialogue with the SMOE about honoring our initial request (we actually requested multiple times to live either together or near one another before we even left the States). It is a very frustrating situation and has taken most of the day attempting to figure something out. I think we are going to be calling an official that is higher up in the ranks tomorrow about arranging a face-to-face meeting. We've been told that we must be firm and determined in order to have our request honored...

In the midst of all of this, I'm kind of torn. I would absolutely prefer to live closer to Sara. It would be so nice to be in the same apartment complex... to be able to share meals together, cook together, share lots of memories. Living an hour away makes traveling during the weekdays rather difficult. At the same time, I am wondering if God has a purpose in all of this. Perhaps there is a reason we are separated? Perhaps God has strategically placed us where He wants us? It's difficult to know. In the midst of trying to improve our living situation, we both acknowledged that we want to be careful to preserve relationships with our co-teachers and others. It's hard to know exactly what we should do... please be praying for wisdom!

1 comment:

Nora said...

Praying for you especially about this.