Objection 1. "My money is my own"... Answer: Christ might have said, "My blood is my own, my life is my own"... then where should we have been?
Objection 2. "The poor are undeserving." Answer: Christ might have said, "They are wicked rebels... shall I lay down my life for these? I will give to the good angels." But no, he left the ninety-nine, and came after the lost. He gave his blood for the undeserving.
Objection 3. "The poor may abuse it." Answer: Christ might have said the same; yea, with far greater truth. Christ knew that thousands would trample his blood under their feet; that most would despise it; that many would make it an excuse for sinning more; yet he gave his own blood. Oh, my dear Christians! If you would be like Christ, give much, give often, give freely, to the vile and poor, the thankless and the undeserving. Christ is glorious and happy and so will you be. Remember his own word, "It is more blessed to give than to receive."
- B. B. Warfield, quoted in John Piper's Don't Waste Your Life
Just last weekend, we (OEM) took some blankets to Seoul Station to give to the homeless. I had just finished reading Piper's book right before going to the homeless outreach. There were over 300 homeless people, but we only had a meager 40 blankets with us (other groups had more blankets in different locations). It was really sad when we ran out of blankets (it took all of fifteen minutes to give them out). I think we learned a lot and will probably do things differently next time.
As a group, we later reflected on different people's reactions. Some were grateful and couldn't stop thanking us. Others came up to us and just expected them - as if they were entitled to our gifts. Some chided us for coming without having enough blankets for everyone. Rather than feeling indignant/frustrated with their reactions, I finally started to see a glimpse of my own heart. How often have I acted as if I was entitled/deserving of the Lord's favor? How often have I expected things from Him without even stopping to thank Him, forgetting that without Him, I am nothing? How often do I "trample" Christ's blood? How often I'm tempted to life my life for myself...
Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it."
Mark 8:34-35
Mark 8:34-35
Lord, thank you for your blood. Thank you for your grace. Thank you for giving me LIFE. Thanks for reminding me that it doesn't belong to me anymore... It's so easy to forget.
No comments:
Post a Comment