Last week was kind of rough. Things were really quiet at my school with most teachers and students being gone... and I was comparing my situation at school to other native teachers - not a good idea. I was also really overwhelmed with the task of planning my winter vacation class - from scratch. A great opportunity for creative license, but also overwhelming for a brand-new teacher.
Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; Surely I have a delightful inheritance. (Ps. 16:5-6)
Also, since things were SOOO quiet after such a busy, fast-paced season of Christmas festivities... I started to feel overwhelmed with the peace and quiet. I think it was probably the most homesick I've felt yet... especially missing my Mom! =( So many changes seemed to happen all at once last week - lots of the stability in my weekly routine disappeared (teachers, students, English Bible Study, Small group...). And just about anyone who knows me well knows it's difficult for me to function outside of my routine. Yes, this is a new season of my time in Korea - thankfully, it's only temporary!
Season by season, I watch Him amazed,
In awe of the mystery of His perfect ways
All I have need of His hand will provide
He's always been faithful to me!
-Sara Groves, "He's Always Been Faithful"
How easily I forget the Lord's faithfulness! How easily I doubt His promises. How easily I believe that I'm alone - so far from the truth!!! Things certainly seem bleak when looking at the news... considering the current global financial crisis... wars and unrest... uncertain tomorrows... it can be quite discouraging! But thanks to the Lord, we can be filled with JOY and HOPE.
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Every day with you Lord, is sweeter than the day before!
In this new year, the Lord has been taking me back to some of the basics... some of the lessons I learned in VA Beach when I went on summer project in 2007. Falling more in love with Jesus... experiencing the greatest joy of KNOWING Christ and making Him KNOWN... being CONSUMED from the inside out with the Lord...
Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. Ps. 63:3
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverence the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith, who for the joy set before him, endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. Hebrews 12:1-3
I'll end this already very long post with the lyrics from a song we were practicing in choir on Sunday:
Why should I feel discouraged?
Why should the shadows come?
Why should my heart feel lonely?
And long for heaven and home
When Jesus is my portion
A constant friend is He
His eye is on the sparrow
And I know He watches over me
I sing because I'm happy
I sing because I'm free
He leadeth me, he leadeth me
By his own HAND he leadeth me
His faithful follower I would be
for by his HAND he leadeth me...
Praise the Lord!
3 comments:
Holly, thank you for the encouragement of that "very honest post." I'm sorry that you've felt more homesick recently. I pray that God would make His presence very real to you during this time with less routine (or a lot of change).
Love you,
Charity
Great post Holly. Keep your chin up, whenever I start to get that feeling, I know what to do, I call my mom or a friend; if they're not available, prayer always helps :) I'm sure you're doing a great job! Miss you & don't be afraid to email when you start feeling like that :) We've all been there, well, not Korea, but you know what I mean :) ttyl, ash
I've been going through some rough times too. Thank you Holly for reminding me of God's faithfulness.
Post a Comment