Thursday, December 31, 2009

About Korean Weddings...

Since I was able to go to two weddings this month, I decided to make a list of the cultural differences I noticed between Korean weddings and traditional weddings in the States. This is what I've observed (which may or may not be typical for all Korean weddings):
  • the wedding is usually announced somewhat last minute, perhaps a few weeks ahead of time (often times you don't even know that the person was dating until the wedding is announced)
  • the engagement pictures are taken with the bride in numerous wedding dresses
  • teachers generally are at work the day before their wedding (not kidding!)
  • the wedding usually takes place in a Wedding Hall (four or five other weddings may be taking place in the building at the same time, in separate halls) unless it is a Catholic wedding
  • as I mentioned before, people get to see the bride before the wedding and get their picture taken with her
  • when you arrive at the wedding, you should turn in an envelope with money before you can get your meal tickets (you can't eat the wedding meal without meal tickets). people normally don't bring gifts
  • there is a separate guest book for the bride's guests and the groom's guests
  • the groom walks down the aisle before the bride
  • If the father gives the bride away, it's quite brief and I didn't notice him saying anything about it (although the father does walk the bride down the aisle/runway)
  • there are NO bridesmaids/groomsmen... and generally no flower girls/ringbearers, from what I understand
  • immediately after the kiss, a song (or a few songs) are sung to the bride and groom
  • I noticed at least four or five photographers crawling on the stage like ants during the ceremony
  • I didn't notice a unity candle
  • the ceremony itself is very FAST - get the job done and get it done quickly!
  • both the bride and groom wear gloves
  • one woman (generally the bride's best friend) is pre-selected for the bouquet toss. she stands apart from all of the other friends to catch the bouquet while all of the friends are posing in a picture clapping
  • due to seating, lots of people stand in the back during the wedding ceremony (and talk, talk, talk)
  • at the end of the wedding ceremony, both the bride and groom bow to their parents. The groom bows all the way to the ground.
  • a somber, traditional, intimate ceremony is performed immediately following the ceremony between the bride, groom, parents, and siblings
  • the reception is super-quick (as soon as the guests are finished eating, they go home)
Who knows? There are probably even more things that I'm missing. It's possible that I made some generalizations that are not completely characteristic of all Korean culture, but I did my best to research and ask questions from my Korean friends at the weddings. =)

No comments: