Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Good News

For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Isaiah 9:6

I had this thought on the bus this morning, as I was contemplating homesickness and all... you know, I'm pretty sure Jesus understood homesickness better than anyone else. I mean, after all... he left His real HOME and Loving Father for 33 years! I truly am thankful for the life we have in Him because He made that huge sacrifice - giving His life, suffering through homesickness, desiring to be re-united with His Father once again, loving His disciples (though they weren't always strong and dependable, especially when He needed them most)... Come to think of it, I don't think anyone else understands that kind of homesickness and isolation better than our Lord!

For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. Hebrews 4:15-16

This morning, I was comforted knowing that He KNOWS and understands and has been there. Truly, this is a time to celebrate the message of the Gospel, the GOOD NEWS. He is my Wonderful Counselor (good news since so many of my counselors/sources of wisdom are back home), my Mighty God (good news since I'm so weak and frail...), my Everlasting Father (good news since I'm separated from my earthly father), my Prince of Peace (good news since I'm so prone to anxiety and worry). Yes, this is a hard season, but a good season. Hard because of the emotions that come along with it all. Good because of what this whole season means. Yes, HE is the reason for the season (cliche, I know). We celebrate His birth because it is GOOD NEWS. His Birth means salvation. This is the Gospel! For this reason, we can have hope... even in the midst of unsteady/uncomfortable emotions, HE is who He Is - Emmanuel, God WITH us! Now that, is GOOD NEWS.

Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. Matthew 1:23