Tuesday, August 26, 2008

He's Got the Whole World in His Hands... Including Seoul!

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand... For I am the Lord your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, 'Do not fear, I will help you. Do not be afraid... for I myself will help you,' declares the Lord, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel." Isaiah 41:10, 13

The Trip

Well, I am here - in Seoul, South Korea. It was a long trip. We left my house around 9:15 a.m. Sunday morning. Goodbyes were difficult at O'Hare, but the flight went very smoothly. In fact, I didn't feel like it was really 13 hours and 15 min. Fortunately, I was able to catch several naps. Sara and I sat together and we also met a couple of other English teachers, which was encouraging. I arrived at my apartment last night (Monday evening) at about 9:00 p.m. Needless to say, I was quite exhausted.

My First Friends in Seoul
After we arrived at the airport, we met people from the SMOE (Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education) and boarded a bus to meet our respective co-teachers at Midong Elementary School. I met my vice principal (Park Young-Soon) and my co-teacher (Kim Young-Chae). I was a little nervous at first, but both of the women are so very kind! Young-Chae gave both Sara and I her cell phone number so that we can be in contact. She also told me to feel free to call her at any time - even if it is at night.

I don't think Sara and I are living very near to each other, but we don't really know for sure yet. I don't think Sara has internet connections yet either. Hopefully she will today at her middle school. Both of us are teaching at middle schools. I'm not sure how many middle schools there are in Seoul, but one Korean woman told us yesterday afternoon that there are more than 500 elementary schools in the city alone! Wow.

The Apartment
Young-Soon and Young-Chae took me to my apartment. I have to admit... on the car ride there, I was beginning to wonder a little bit about what I had gotten myself into... and wondering if a year is truly 365 days. But, the Lord assured me that His hand is leading mine.

When we got to my apartment complex, I was surprised by the peace I had when they informed me that I had not been expected to arrive until next week because of orientation. However, they quickly cleaned my apartment and allowed me to move in.

About my apartment... it is cute and very small, as in one room. I will post pictures later. I am glad I'm the only one living here, otherwise I would probably feel over-crowded. However, this will work quite well for my needs.

Young-Soon and Young-Chae helped me move in and checked the condition of all the furnishings and drawers with me. It reminded me of our check-in forms that we always had to fill out at Bethel.

"Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand." Psalm 73:23

As we were checking the apartment, I have to admit... I was feeling somewhat emotional. Very tired, overwhelmed, culture shock, and missing my family. I tried not to cry, but I couldn't keep the tears from coming. I was somewhat embarrassed, but the women were so kind to me. Young-Soon (my vice principal) sat down with me and let me show her one of our family pictures. She studied the picture very carefully, asking me questions in her Korean/English. She told me that she has a 28-year old daughter and a 32-year old son. I don't know what it was about her, but she was comforting.

When the women found out that I hadn't eaten for several hours, Young-Chae went to grab me food (although I didn't know that was where she was going at the time). She brought back 2 liters of water (which I was SOOOO thankful for), some orange juice, milk, and a chicken hamburger. I was really touched that she bought a hamburger for me. It was a kind gesture - trying to give me something that would be somewhat familiar. I must admit, I didn't eat it after they left because I just wanted to call home, shower, unpack, and sleep. However, I was really touched by their thoughtfulness. I was also incredibly thankful for an internet connection.

I finally got to bed around 11:30 p.m. last night... and then woke up this morning around 5:00 a.m. That's definitely jet lag! I'm glad I didn't have to worry about over-sleeping though. Young-Chae is coming to pick me up this morning around 7:30 to take me to school. I think today is just an orientation day. It sounds like I may actually do some teaching tomorrow. That ought to be interesting...

"Morning by morning, I wake up to find the power and comfort of God's hand in mine
Season by season, I watch Him amazed, in awe of the mystery of His perfect way.
All I have need of, His hand will provide.
He's always been faithful to me."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Holly,

So glad to read your blog! Your grandpa sent it to me after I heard you were on your way to South Korea. The first days of school are hectic and exhausting for me in America, and I imagine much more so for you in a new culture. So I pray you will be blessed with God's grace during this time as He watches over you--giving you patience as you adjust to the new schedule, the time change, and all that South Korea has to offer.

Love and prayers! Trish (and Bob)

Nora said...

Holly, I'm praying for you as you go about your first full day in Seoul. I just got my check in form for here at Bethel today when i got back from work a little bit ago.

Since you are going to be there 365 days, you should do a picture a day thing ;) You would have far more interesting pictures than mine.

Love you.

diane said...

Hey Holly!
We're glad to hear you made it safely. The girls and I were praying for you tonight and trusting that God will take care of all of your needs. I hope you can see Bae Hoon and Bok Ja soon. They will definately lift your spirits. We love you and are so proud of you!!!!
Love,
Aunt Diane

Jana Alexis said...

So glad to hear that you're there and settling in. Praise God for the way His presence is evident. Truly, "great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me." :)
Love you!
Jans