Saturday, November 1, 2008

Another Random Post... Running out of creative titles, I'm afraid...

Monday Classes
My Monday classes went much better this week. Thanks to all who were praying! In fact, my classes went much better in general this week (which was good because there was so many other things going on this week for me)! My lesson was on Autumn... I told the students about apple-picking (one of my FAVORITE fall traditions) and how my mom makes amazing apple pie. We also played Autumn BINGO - which the students LOVED! Several classes actually wanted to keep playing after the bell rang. I cannot tell you what joy this brought to my heart!

A Dose of Homesickness
This week was kind of tough in many ways - unrelated to the classroom. I had a few instances that made me realize that I REALLY miss my family... I had such a GREAT summer at home with them... and am missing knowing what's going on... going to Emma's orchestra concerts... Caleb's football games (I hear he's practicing with the varsity now)... hearing Josh's stories, band concerts, preparations for the DR Trip... knowing how school is going for Zac... chatting with my parents just because... It's really been hitting me a little more recently. I'm so thankful for Skype. My parents and I have been able to stay in contact for the most part, which has been great. I enjoy hearing about my mom's stories from work concerning germ-reducing efforts. It's also really neat to compare our experiences working in middle schools. It's cool that we can share so much in common, even though our middle schools are thousands of miles away set in completely different cultures.

Yeah... some people go overseas to get away from their families... that's NOT why I'm here...

I LOVE YOU
Yes, many of my students (usually the boys) scream "Hi Teacher! I love you!" I've been trying to break them of this habit... but had a funny incident this week. I was walking to school one morning and one of the boys in my lowest level class was walking with his girlfriend (I've been told their QUITE serious). We chatted briefly and when we parted ways, he said, "Bye teacher, I love you!" I couldn't see him when he said this because there was a bush obstructing my view. However, I heard a loud SMACK and knew that his girlfriend did not appreciate his words. It made me chuckle...

The Hiding Place
Just finished reading Corrie Ten Boom's story, The Hiding Place. I highly recommend it for anyone that's looking for some good reading material. I still would like to sit down and process what I read a little more... but it's definitely been challenging me to trust the Lord, regardless of what the future may hold!

My After-School Class
I teach an after-school class on Mondays and Thursdays. On Monday, I made them popcorn just because. I told them it was because I like them (and I was hoping it would encourage them to be faithful in attendance). I also told them not to expect it every week... it was a good bonding experience though. I feel like they are MY kids. I'll take a picture of them soon and share them with you. I really enjoy spending time with them... they're great and they make me laugh so much.

Hot Chocolate, Checkers, & Emma...

This morning, after skyping with my lovely mother, I had a little date with Emmie. We sipped hot chocolate together, played checkers, and shared stories/asked questions between each move. It was marvelous! I miss that girl...


No comments: