Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Just What I Needed...

Okay, I promise this is the last post for tonight! I'll try to do a better job at not having them all come at once... ;-)

(Another) Break
So, this week I haven't been teaching at all. The students had mid-terms Monday-Wednesday (today). This basically means that I've had lots of "free" time at school. Of course I had super-ambitious plans to roughly plan the rest of my lessons for the semester (I can be so silly and ridiculous sometimes...). Instead, I got one lesson fully planned and another one mostly planned... So, at least I'm somewhat ahead now. It continues to amaze me how many HOURS it takes me to plan a single lesson! Since I'm not using a textbook, I guess it makes sense that it takes a little longer. My teachers keep reminding me that I'm still pretty new at teaching, so it's okay that it takes me a long time. They're so gracious to me!

It's been nice to have some extra time to catch up on stuff, though. Even though I didn't get as far ahead as I would have liked, I was able to take care of lots of little things. It's crazy that my work week is finished now. Tomorrow, we're taking a trip to the zoo (I guess a celebration for the students since they're done with exams for now). Then Friday, I have a field trip with the other Native English teachers in my district. So... that means this week I'm getting paid to sit at my desk and go on field trips. Not bad, huh? :)

A Little Dose of Humility
Yesterday at lunch, Alice was trying to teach me how to hold chopsticks. Although I'm certainly not an expert, I've definitely had no problem managing to get food from the plate to my mouth. It just so happened that the lunch menu items yesterday were slippery - noodles, pickled garlic, fruit drenched in yogurt, etc. So, I struggled somewhat, but not too bad. I was feeling okay with my progress... until Alice volunteered to buy me some "training chopsticks" - ones with grippers that they use for little kids. I felt kind of sad... and had a nice heaping slice of humble pie. It's not like I just got her last week... it's been almost 7 weeks now! :-( I know she's just trying to take care of me... and I love her for it.

A Package from Home!!!!
This morning, I was nearly running late, but saw that the front desk had a package waiting for me. Being unable to contain my excitement, I claimed it and hurried back up to my room to sneak a quick peak at the contents. My dear mother sent me all kinds of goodies!!! I felt like it was Christmas... but it would be more appropriate to say I felt like it was my birthday... because among my requested items (lovely IRS forms, a few clothes, some snacks, BOOKS, etc), she stuck in lots of other birthday goodies. The "goodies:" Reeses, a vanilla cupcake candle (how appropriate), chocolate covered coffee beans, and wrapped presents! I was nearly beside myself with excitement. I had to rush out the door so I wouldn't be late for school, but felt like such a little kid on the way to school. I was SO giddy and excited... I couldn't concentrate to read my book like I normally do each day on the bus. Instead, on my way to school, I decided that I would have to "hide" the birthday goodies from myself so that I can enjoy them on the actual day (self-control required!!!). So, when I got home, I hid them away in one of my drawers that I rarely open. That's where they MUST stay until October 19!
Oh, and I was excited to get the books because I've almost read through all of the books I broughth with me already! Just this morning, I was wondering how I would manage after running out of reading material! So... Thanks Mom, you're the best!

Okay... I think I'm officially signing off for the evening. Thanks for those of you that have read all the way through my blog frenzy this evening! It feels good to be caught up now... :) I'm sure there will be more coming soon. The rest of this week is packed with fun stuff... including the Passion Seoul Conference with Sara, David, & Tae (featuring David Crowder, Chris Tomlin, Matt Redman, Louie Giglio, & Francis Chan). I can hardly wait! But... more about that LATER!

No comments: