Saturday, October 4, 2008

Mrs. Park & finally... a Movie Night!

I met up with Mrs. Park, my vice principal this afternoon. She invited me to hang out with her. We went on a lovely stroll around the Yangjae chun (Yangjae stream). I learned a few new Korean words. She practiced her English. We were able to communicate better than either of us thought we would be able to, which was a blessing. I really had a great time with her - it was relaxing (even though it definitely took a lot of energy to communicate) and it wa lovely to see green trees, grass, and bushes! We ended our stroll with cheesecake and coffee at a cute little coffee shop. It was grand - totally my idea of a perfect afternoon!

Sara popped over tonight on her way home from a long day of sightseeing. I've been wanting to have a movie night with popcorn since we got here... and this was the first official movie night with popcorn! (It's the little things in life...) My dear cousin sent me microwave popcorn and trail mix... which was so exciting!!! We watched part one of a four part series on Jesus in China (compliments of my Aunt Diane). It was so refreshing to my heart and made me all the more eager to learn Mandarin and soak up as much about Chinese culture as possible! Although I am loving my time in Korea and find the Korean people to be incredibly endearing, I still really miss China... and have had a difficult time feeling terribly motivated to learn Korean since it is not really necessary for survival. I'm asking God to give me a "learner's heart" (Bok ja's words) for the Korean language.

Tomorrow, we get to go to church for the first time knowing that it is our church "home" for the year! Alice, one of my Korean co-teachers asked to come along too... which I'm super-excited about! I love her... God is doing great things!

Good night friends...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so good to hear that things are going well. i'm glad you found a 'church home,' had a good afternoon with Mrs. Park, and were able to have a movie night with popcorn! i understand the feeling of not really having a desire to learn the language, but knowing that it would be best to relate to the people there...i'll be praying...
love you, Holl-uh-bee!
- Char-uh-bee