Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmastime...

So many Christmas festivities to share...

OEM Choir

I finally decided to join the choir at my church about a month ago. Our choir is small, but we have a lot of fun. It was really special to sing Christmas songs together.


Our choir on stage. You can actually hear us singing at: www.cgntv.net/service/program.asp?pid=224. We're not professional, but enjoy singing to the Lord!


Christmas Eve - at Cheongryang

Christmas Eve was different than it has ever been before (obviously). I had to be at school on Christmas Eve (though I didn't teach any classes). I didn't mind it too much, though. I think it was good to spend the day surrounded by people. I found myself wanting to soak up the time in the office with all of the other teachers. Not too many of them are going to be around during winter vacation, so it's going to be pretty quiet around the school... and I'm going to miss them. So, it was fun to sit at my desk writing Christmas cards, handing out candy canes, and enjoying sweet conversations (also managed to fit in another nice long nap at school that day...). A few teachers surprised me with some very thoughtful gifts and letters, which totally blessed my heart. I've been realizing again that I'm in such a unique situation at my school... and I'm seeing God answer prayers in some sweet ways. I praise God for my Cheongryang teachers!!!

Christmas Eve program

After school was finished, one of my co-teachers, Lee Won Kyung went with me to a Christmas Ever service that Bok ja invited me to. We met up for dinner with several friends and then headed over to the Navigators group that Bok ja and her husband are a part of.


Me and Won Kyung. This was while we were waiting to pick up our dinner.


This pic was taken in front of a big shopping center. The E-mart that I do my grocery shopping is inside of this place... it's also where we ate dinner for the evening.
back row: Zane, Daniel, Kevin, Vince
front row: me, Won Kyung, Janis, Sung hee


Just girls... Janis, me, Bok ja, Won Kyung, Sung hee
(Unfortunately Sara couldn't come because she was really sick...)

The Navigators program included singing, choreography, a drama, and a short message. All of it was in Korean, so that definitely made this Christmas Eve unique. It only seemed fitting to attend a Korean Christmas Eve service since I'm in KOREA... Of course, I didn't understand much of what was said, although being familiar with the Christmas story certainly helped. =)


I LOOOVE hearing quality guys sing! At the Christmas Eve service, these guys sang so well and had some great choreography too. Janis and I both enjoyed it thoroughly!


The cast in the Christmas drama. They seemed like professional actors. I was thankful to have Won Kyung sitting next to me translating. I in turn, passed the rough translation on to Janis. We had a decent idea of the production, and really enjoyed it. It was nice to be at a Christmas program - kind of comforting in some ways, I guess.

After the program, we had a birthday cake for Jesus and sang Happy Birthday to him. It was fun. Bok ja and her husband were such gracious hosts.

Christmas with the Family
Toward the end of the evening, I found myself feeling slightly homesick and completely exhausted (it was such a busy week with Christmas preparations). After some quick grocery shopping, I had the privilege of skyping with my family as they ate our traditional Christmas morning breakfast (cinnamon rolls and cherry-go-round). We read the Christmas story together and opened gifts, which was special. I think my favorite gift that I gave was the dried squid for my Dad. =) Once again, I'm SO thankful for Skype...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holly, I'm glad to hear that your Christmas and Christmas Eve were filled with friends and fun. It's hard to be in another country over holidays, but it sounds like you made the most of it. I hope it was wonderful!
I love you and miss you!
-Charuhbee-