Monday, December 22, 2008

Sugar Cookies, a Christmas Party, and Unexpected Blessings

Friday night, Sara came over and helped me make the sugar cookies that Aunt Rosalyn sent to me. It was a nice time of catching up and we enjoyed just hanging out with each other.



As you can see, it didn't take very long for the cookies to bake in my little toaster oven. I burned several of them... oops! But they were still edible and delicious.



We had fun decorating... =)


My cute little tray of decorated sugar cookies... which were all ready for my Christmas party on Saturday with some of my lovely Cheongryang teachers!!!


The Christmas Party

Saturday afternoon, I had eight teachers come visit my tiny apartment for a little Christmas party. I was SOOO excited to be a hostess... and to have an opportunity to express my gratitude to some of the teachers at Cheongryang. I feel like they've been such a blessing to me this year - such an encouragement and support!


The teachers that came: Lee Yun sil (one of the head teachers that sits next to me), Kim Yeong Chae (my main/official co-teacher/mom), Kang Meesuk (the teacher that gave me TONS of dishes when I first got here; always full of encouragement), Lee Bong Hee (one of the music teachers - her desk is right across from mine), Alice (co-teacher, my personal Korean tutor and good friend; I've written about her a lot in the past, I think), Kim Eun Mi (math teacher; very interested in our English Bible study, but had to teach an after-school class... ), Kang Bo-gil (art teacher; came to our English Bible study faithfully this semester), Kyunghan (the co-teacher that played the violin last week; we often have great heart-to-heart conversations)...


I LOOOOOVE these women!!!


It was exciting to share so many goodies that I received in the mail last week. The table runner is "holly"-themed and made by my Grandma (along with the caramels). It fits my little table perfectly! My family sent gingerbread cookies, spritz cookies, pizelles, candied nuts, and chocolates. (I received their package 45 minutes before the teachers came! Talk about good timing!!!).


The chocolate cookies are compliments of Bok ja.

Unexpected Blessings...
Last week, I woke up with a sore throat nearly every day because my apartment is SO dry with the weather changes. I spent all week complaining about it in my mind... and finally decided to stop complaining and had the novel idea to actually ask God to provide a humidifier for me. (Why I didn't think of it before, I'm not sure... He's ALWAYS so faithful to me).

At lunch Friday afternoon, asked Kim Yeong Chae how I could get a humidifier. She spent about 2 hrs. looking for a humidifier online. When she found one for me, it was going to be about 50,000 won (a reasonable price, yet much more than what I wanted to pay). I agreed to order it, thinking I would just pay for it myself...

But, Saturday afternoon when the teachers came to my party, they
brought several surprises: a case of oranges, strawberries, grapes, Kleenex, Vienna chocolates... and (can you believe it?) A HUMIDIFIER!!!


They purposefully chose a humidifier with pink on it... they know me so well!

I was so surprised and blessed by their generous gifts. And even more so overwhelmed by the faithfulness of the Lord... once again!

He's always been faithful to me...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so dear of you to share your life, and thoughts, and Korean friends with all of us! Thank you, Holly. Merry Christmas---and much Love, ~ Elaine :o)

Anonymous said...

Holly! I love hearing about the wonderful things that you are doing with all the teachers and friends there!

Praise the Lord for his faithfulness! He's amazing! :)

Love you, Holly!
-Charity

p.s. We should Skype sometime!