Friday, December 12, 2008

Thank you Mr. Chung!

Perhaps some of you have wondered if I still see the fruit man (or "umbrella man" as my mom affectionately refers to him). Rest assured, he is still alive and well... and I see him most days on my way home from work.

Today he asked me about "Indiana Jones" and "America" and "Christmas." I figured he was asking me if I'd be going back home to Indiana for Christmas. I told him that I'd be staying here, but would be missing my family. I then pulled out a picture of my family to show him. He seemed to enjoy it quite a bit... and was surprised (like many other Koreans) by the size of my family. Our conversation was interrupted by another customer, so I hurried on my way... until I realized that I had bought fruit, but left it with him when I rushed off! Oh dear... lol.

After quickly returning to claim my fruit, I headed back to the Co-op... then started to panic because I couldn't find my key chain - which contains my room key, alien registration card, and T-money card (used for getting on and off the subway). I have often wondered what I would do if I lost it...

I rushed back to Mr. Chung's fruit stand (for a third time), breathing somewhat panicked prayers as I went. Fortunately when I arrived, he had my key chain in his hand (PRAISE GOD) and was digging in his bag for something. I looked at him quizzically and he just said, "Tape-uh." He was attempting to repair the tearing plastic inside my worn Bethel College card carrier. Such a dear man...

No comments: