I cannot express to you all how many times I praise the Lord for you. Thank you for reading my blog. Thank you for caring about what's going on. Thank you for the mark you've left and are leaving on my life. Your prayers mean so much to me.
I would like to dedicate this particular blog post to one (of many) who has significanly influenced my life: Dr. Elizabeth Hossler. Last night I received word that Dr. Hossler, my adviser throughout my 4 years at Bethel College went home to be with the Lord on Thursday evening (9/11/08). She battled with cancer for a number of years, but had incredible faith that God would heal her. He finally has brought her healing and freedom from pain! I was informed that the memorial service was held Tuesday afternoon. My, how I wish I could have been there! Liz has had such an incredible influence upon my life.
During our advising appointments, though paying attention to the meticulous details to be sure I'd be ready for graduation, she was even more concerned with my life and how God was working in my heart.
I'll never forget the "invisible ticket" she gave me my freshmen year of college. At that time, I was incredibly anxious and worried about choosing a major and figuring out my life. I was definitely wound pretty tight! She handed me an "invisible ticket" with the words, I don't have to decide today. Liz was so great about putting things into perspective for me! From time to time, when I was trying to make a particular decision (whether it be related to career, friendships, being a resident assistant, boys, summer plans, classes, or something else), she would gently ask me with a slight (sometimes mischievious) grin, Are you still holding on to that ticket?
My senior year, both Liz and I noticed that I had definitely become more "relaxed" since my freshmen year. Liz made a comment like, Wow, this isn't the tightly wound, anxious Holly Birkey I knew four years ago! It was an exciting moment.
When I returned to Bethel after studying abroad my final semester, I was informed that Liz was not doing well at all. She wasn't able to teach her classes or advise her students because of her stage of cancer. I am so thankful for the privilege I had to visit her in her home before graduation! Though the visit was short (she was incredibly weak, thin, and pale... not bursting with life like the Liz I knew) and the drive was kind of long, it was so worth it! We caught up briefly... and of course she asked me: So Holly, are you still holding onto that ticket? When she asked me, I pulled out a little box I had bought for her while I was in China. When I gave it to her, I began to explain. It's empy Liz because...
I know, the invisible ticket, right?
Yes Liz, I've still got that ticket with me! I'll always keep it with me. I'll miss you. Thanks so much for caring. Thanks for taking me to Pizza Hut the summer after freshmen year. Thanks for asking me to stop by your office just to catch up. Thanks for helping me relax and enjoy life. Thanks for being a great listener. Thanks for our prayer times at the beginning of each class. Thanks for being okay with me not liking Psych Measurement. Thanks for being okay with me not planning to go to grad. school right out of college. So thankful that you're celebrating with our Lord right now! Looking forward to seeing you when I get HOME!
Note: I apologize for the emotional-ness of this post... kind of. I would like it to be more polished, but I wanted to write while things were fresh on my mind. I'm so thankful for the faculty and staff at Bethel College! What an incredible impact you all have had on my life... I wouldn't be here in South Korea if it weren't for you! Same goes to my incredible family and dear friends. I feel like I could dedicate countless more blog posts! Know that I love you all... and miss you dearly!!!
2 comments:
Holly
I think it would be great if her family could get this "write up" from you.
that was lovely Holly, an amazing concept-the "invisible ticket". I guess we never know how much we impact people or how much they impact us until after the fact. Have a wonderful day. Love & miss you, ash :)
Post a Comment