In the midst of the difficult times, there have also been several highlights this week...
1) Onnuri Church Visit - really loved it on Sunday! I'm visiting one more church tomorrow, but hopefully I'll be able to decide at the end of this weekend! We joined a small group and had dinner and coffee afterward - it was a whole day event... and I thoroughly enjoyed it! So refreshing...
2) Early Mornings at School - I found out that about 4 or 5 Korean teachers get together a half hour before school begins every Tuesday-Friday morning for Bible reading and prayer... and breakfast! They invited me to join them. Although it is all in Korean, one of my co-teachers (Alice) graciously volunteered to attend the morning sessions with me to translate the Korean into English. It's really sweet... so many of the things I would love to share with her are the things she is telling me as she translates! Kind of ironic... and definitely sweet!
3) Meeting up with Hil - We had dinner together on Tuesday night and had such a great time of fellowship - sharing life and fully enjoying the friendship God is blessing us with. Pretty sure I don't even want to think about her going back to the States in February!
4) Time with Native Teacher friends - Several of the girls met up in Dongdaemun (my territory) for dinner Wednesday night... and then some of us got together again for dinner last night. Although I really am LOVING my time with Koreans, it is definitely good to be able to spend time with other Westerners. We were planning to attend a classical concert last night, but the tickets (within our price range) were sold out by the time we arrived. So, we had galbi (fire meat) for dinner.. which is one of my favorite Korean meals. Then spent the rest of the evening at Tom & Tom's, a cute little cafe with delicious pretzels and hot chocolate (which I've been craving!).
5) Dinner out with Korean teachers - The teachers from our morning Bible study offered to take Alice and I out to a really nice restaurant that serves duck. I think my tolerance for spicy food and seafood is gradually increasing... thanks for all of your prayers! Here's some fun pics from the evening:
My first completely authentic Korean meal out with ONLY Koreans... sitting on the floor at that! I loved it... it was totally a special treat. Mrs. Moon treated us (she's the farthest one back on the left... she always brings us breakfast to Bible study/prayer in the mornings... Alice said she's going to make us "fat" soon... I laughed in agreement).

Ham, I think... along with sesame leaves and radishes (one form of MANY)

Frozen, raw crab... yes, I actually tried it (sorry Mom)! Will I try it again? Uh...probably not. But apparently it's a delicacy here.

I think this is a form of galbi (fire meat)... excpet this looks mostly like kimchi over the fire.

Pig skin. Do you think I tried it?

Yes, I actually did... with Alice! This was the "before" picture. She was pretty nervous (which surprised me... it's encouraging that not all Koreans like this stuff...)

This would be a "during" shot...

And this would be us trying to compose ourselves as we finish swallowing. It actually wasn't terrible... but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.

I'm not sure what got into me, but I was really in the mood for trying stuff on Thursday! Mrs. Moon brought some spicy-ish Korean food to breakfast and I tried it (much to my surprise, I kind of liked it!). The total meal she treated us to after school was NINE courses!!! I'm still feeling bloated... two days later! But any Korean that you talk to will tell you that Korean food is VERY good for your health and well-being. They pride themselves in it... every time I ask them to identify a food for me, I can count on them telling me that it's "good for well-being!" That's encouraging... particularly as I sip on soup made from various roots and disect fish on my plate that is staring me down with eyes still intact. (I'll have to get a picture of this sometime for you...)
6) Mr. Chung, the Fruit Man & my new best friend
So, Mr. Chung is pretty much one of my best friends now. I buy fruit from him in between my subway stop and apartment building. He has met some of my Native Teacher friends and he always tries to speak English to me. Last week he started calling me "Miss Indiana Jones Wonder Woman." So funny! I see him multiple times each day... and I look forward to it! He is a sweet older man and is so concerned for me!
On Thursday, on my way back home from the elaborate duck meal, it started raining and I realized that I forgot my umbrella at school. Fortunately, I didn't have to walk too far in the rain. When I walked hurried past him and gave him a quick wave, I guess he followed me with an umbrella. I don't know how long he was holding the umbrella over my head before I noticed, but it may have been a good 20-30 seconds. He walked me all the way to the front of the Co-op and then waved goodbye. Such a small thing (I only live about 2 minutes away), but made a HUGE difference to me... I love how God reminds me of His love and care through such things!
Today when I bought my mandarin oranges from him, he noticed that I was wearing short sleeves and since the weather has cooled down significantly, he expressed concern about me wearing a jacket. I pointed to my sweatshirt in my hand and assured him I'd be okay. :)
He's such a sweet old man. He sings in his church and studies his music while he's passing time at his little fruit stand. I'm not sure if he's like a dad, a grandfather, an uncle, or what... I haven't decided yet. For now, he's just my new best friend.
So much more to share with you all, but it's time for me to go meet some more new Korean friends for dinner (friends of Hannah Cramer's for those of you from NLB). :)
1 comment:
Holly!!! I'm in the midst of studying for my first Personality Theories test this Monday, but thought I'd take a break to read your blog. :) I must admit, I didn't actually read it all, but I skimmed through it...and saw that you tried pig skin!!!!!! I'm sooooo glad you got pictures, because, though I do trust you, I really wanted to see it. ;) Good for you--I'm really proud of you over there in Korea. :)
Love you a lot!
-Charity
Post a Comment