Wednesday, September 3, 2008

SMOE ORIENTATION

SMOE stands for Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education. I have been at orientation all week with approximately 250 other English teachers from all over the world - USA, Canada, England, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, etc. All of us are employed by SMOE... and most people here are pretty well-traveled. It's fun to talk with people that love to travel and see the world.

Orientation has been helpful, for the most part. I have to admit, I really wasn't looking forward to it at the beginning, but now I'm thankful for the experience. Although there are many things that could be improved, I've enjoyed making new friends, learning more about Korean culture, and I now have several more tools to add to my teacher toolbox (my roommate is laughing at me right now for that last phrase).

Speaking of roommates, I've had a wonderful time with Taryn & Josie (pictured below). We have had so many times of random laughter... and lots of great conversations. We all share a similar sense of humor, which is kind of nice.


I'm looking forward to hanging out with them more this upcoming year.


This was our first night at orientation. Sara, myself, Taryn, and Josie had a "chocolate party." We had a few chocolate parties when I was in college... and somehow the idea came up and was a wonderful start to our week. We definitely had a lot of giggles. It's fun being a girl.



This is a sample of what our meals are like in the Hyundai Learning Center. The soup was actually pretty good - the Korean version of chicken noodle soup without the noodles, I guess. In the upper left hand corner, you may see some light purple octopus legs. I'm afraid that I didn't do such a good job trying the food on this particular occasion. Some of the food has been okay this week... I'm looking forward to the more authentic Korean restaurants, though.



Last night, we had traditional Korean dancing lessons. It was definitely an interesting time... I'm not sure that my dancing skills improved all that much...

Orientation lasts until Saturday... Tomorrow we are giving mini-teaching lessons.

1 comment:

just me said...

I am soo jealous. That soup makes me hungry. I shall have to go to my favorite restaurant. Glad you're having fun!